My Counter

Monday, June 14, 2010

40 Grit

Since the day I could walk, I have always loved to go barefooted. Even in the dead of winter, I will pad around the house in bare feet. After 50 plus years of this, my feet look like flat rectangles with pink polish. As I have gotten older, it has been more and more difficult to tend to my feet – my arms have evidently shrunk, making it harder to ‘reach’. Since my husband and I live with my daughter Elanea and her family, when she sees me trying to do my own pedicures, she will usually offer to assist me. (She says the sight of me rolling around the floor in a ball, grunting & gasping for air makes her feel sorry for me, but I know she does it ‘cause she loves her Mama!) Filing and polishing is no big deal – the problem is the calluses on my feet. I have tried lotions and oils – no improvement. Then I got a pumice stone – slight improvement, but once it got past the first layer, it just couldn’t cut it. The next attempt was the metal thing-y that looks like a file, only in pastel colors. It kinda works, but took so long to get to bedrock, I just gave up. In desperation I was checking out hoof nippers on line when it dawned on me – sandpaper! I am somewhat of a woodworker, so we usually keep wood supplies in the garage, and sure enuf, I had a stack of sandpaper on the shelf. For all you ladies that have heels hard enough to crack walnuts listen up: the sure fire way to make those heels feel smooth and soft as a baby’s behind is 40 Grit! Just cut a strip about an inch and a half wide and 6 inches long, grab the ends and start sanding away. (Best to do it outside, so the ‘sawdust’ doesn’t make a pile on the carpet.. grosses the family out.) I am now in the planning stage of attaching a belt sander to the bottom of my massaging foot bath so I can have an all-in-one hoof station! Then I can sand ‘em, soak ‘em and rub ‘em down, all from the comfort of my recliner!
(And I wouldn’t have to miss ‘Cops’!)

No comments:

Post a Comment