It seems like my family has a lot of heart to heart interaction in the bathroom. When my kids were little they would love to sit in the there and talk to me while I was doing my morning routine. They would perch up on the counter beside the sink and watch intently as I washed my face, brushed my teeth, etc. Now it’s the grandkids that press their little faces close to mine, checking to make sure Nana doesn’t miss a spot when she flosses.
My grandson Zac had spent the night, and when my alarm went off the next morning, he hopped out of bed, too. I had my coffee and my meds (can’t forget those!) then got dressed. As I headed into the bathroom Zac followed close behind me and took his customary spot. I brushed my teeth and washed my face – the usual stuff – then began to apply a creamy lotion to my clean face. Zac picked up the lotion bottle and began to read the label out loud. “Anti-Wrinkle Cream” Zac looked at the bottle, and then peered up into my face for a moment. Then he snorted and held the bottle up.
“This stuff doesn’t work.” He flatly declared. “You still have wrinkles.” I made a swipe at his backside but he slid off the counter, out of reach.
“Look, Smart-Alec, did you ever think how many wrinkles I would have if I didn’t use that stuff?” I leaned close to the mirror to apply my lipstick. I could see a dawning look of comprehension creep over Zac’s countenance as the weigh of what I said sank in.
“I never thought of that!” he said in a hushed voice. He plopped back down on the countertop next to the basin. I straightened up and brushed off my clothes. Then I walked to the bathroom door, softly pushing it shut. A slight smile spread across my glossy lips as I leaned back on the door, blocking any chance of escape. Slowly I began to roll up my sleeves.
“Hey Zac – ever had a swirlie?”
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment