My Counter

Friday, June 25, 2010

Bedtime for Bonzo

The best time to talk with a guy is at night, right before they go to sleep. A guy will tell you exactly what is on his heart, if you wait until that quiet time, when night is closing in, and the house is quieting down. When Chase was little, we would snuggle on my big bed for a while and talk and tell stories and plan for the future. Then his big brother Zac would come and get him, and take him to bed in their room. My room was at the front of the house and had a large screened window facing east. We didn’t have air conditioning, so in the summer months I would have the side of my bed right against the window, to get all the fresh air I could. One evening, when Chase was about 5, we stretched out on my bed for our nightly time together. The only light was from a small lamp in the far corner of the room. Chase was lying between me and the window, half asleep, listening to me tell a bedtime story and enjoying the cool night air. All was blissfully calm and quiet.. Suddenly, out of nowhere – there was a MASSIVE crash against the window, and in the moonlight, we could make out a hairy shape, plastered against the vibrating screen, screaming like a banshee! It took a couple of seconds before my petrified brain could assimilate what my popped-out eyeballs were seeing, then I realized – it was only the $#@! family cat, yowling like crazy, trying to get someone to let it inside! ‘Bleeping cat!!’ I thundered, kicking at the window – then it dawned on me – Chase had vanished! Before I could yell for the Big Brothers for help, I felt something move underneath me. I rolled to the side, and there was Chase! In the nanosecond when the hairy apparition sprang onto the window, Chase had somehow managed to deflate himself to about the width of a sheet of paper, and had shot underneath his Mama for protection! How in the world could he have done that?? And on top of that, he had managed to lift my weight up high enough for him to tunnel beneath! He would need a car jack, for that feat alone! But he did it, and when I jumped up, his body slowly inflated, and by the time Zac came for him, he was his usual size and shape, no harm done.
Course, I DID have to change the sheets...

No comments:

Post a Comment