My Counter

Sunday, June 27, 2010

55 - and still alive!

Happy birthday to me! I am turning 55 today, and as I told my kids, growing older is MUCH better than the alternative! It feels so cool to be me now! I don’t dye my hair, so it is white as the driven snow and healthy & shiny like a schoolgirl’s. I have no desire to be fashion model skinny, so I can get my money’s worth at the local buffet and all I have to say is ‘the usual’ at DQ’s drive up window. I know the value of a hard earned dollar, so when I find something nice at the Goodwill, I tell everyone where I got it. When it’s hot and I want to go to the pool, I do – and I don’t turn blue in the face, trying to suck my gut in all day. I don’t wear much makeup, so I look the same at night as I do when my sweet Big Daddy Paul rolls over in the morning – no surprises! I know it is way more important to have fun with the family then it is to mop the kitchen floor – chores will always be waiting. And smooching with my husband is more fun than ever, because now it grosses out the grandkids! The little things are the most important – saying prayers at night with Paul, sharing a cookie with Kyeli, having a cold glass of sweet tea on a hot summer day. I know it’s more important to be faithful than to be rich or famous. And even if I don’t like what you do, I can still love you and pray for you. I don’t apologize for my tattoos, my views on politics or religion or my social status, and if you don’t like it, well, I guess that is your problem. I love the Lord, my family and my job and my life only seems to get better every day. Yep, happy birthday to me!

1 comment: